Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our Back Yard

May 14, 2009

It is Spring. Things are getting green and growing. It is this time of the year that we love our little back yard.

This year we built a little greenhouse. Not much and very portable, but it allows us to start plants in the garden when it is really too early in our area to start plants. We already have tomato plants with blossoms. It is amazing how much pleasure we have gotten from this little greenhouse.
This year we didn't harvest our rhubarb. So it has really taken over and it is growing an alien life form. I challenged Andrew and Mylie (grandchildren) and told them that if they each ate a stick, I'd give them a dollar. How was I supposed to know that they would both really like it.
One thing we are worried about is the tree in the back yard. The woodpeckers have done hardy damage to it, including holes that would make Chip and Dale snug and cozy. We are afraid that this may be the last year for this tree - or even worse, that last year may have been the last year for the tree.
But maybe the thing I like best about our back yard this year is that Mar has decided that it is her yard to mow. Al I have to do is start the mower.

1 comment:

erica said...

I love your greenhouse and your garden looks pretty. and I want some of your rhubarb. and oh the tree. so sad.