Thursday, February 25, 2010

Reading List

February 20, 2010
Big Stones Gap by Adriana Trigiani

First - why did I read this? It is a selection for March for Mar's Book Club. Mar wasn't ready to start it, so I took it with me on a trip. Book Club generally does suggest pretty good reading.

They didn't do too bad this time. I feel that a really good novel requires more than just action. To be really good, a character needs to really discover and change - to illustrate something that will also move the reader. Well - maybe this wasn't a really good book - but it was good. The main character, a spinster pharmacist in the small town of Big Stone Gap (if you can call a 30 something woman a spinster), discovers some very important things about herself - and effectively changes herself for a better and happier life. It is pretty well written, even if it is a little predictable. Yes, I liked the book, but I read it while I was in a funk. The light hearted parts lifted me from the funk - a little - but the self inspection it cased put me right back in.

I won't say you have to read it, but I won't try to dissuade you either.

WARNING: For all of you he-men, this could definitely be considered a chick-flick book, so beware.


1 comment:

The Mighty Yam said...

"To be really good, a character needs to really discover and change - to illustrate something that will also move the reader. " - this is a great and useful comment. Thanks,