Friday, February 5, 2010

Reading List

January 30, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


When I looked for this book at the library, it was in the teenage section. It really is a book that is focused on a youthful look.

At first I thought – it is just another teenager – Germany – WWII – Jewish story. I guess you might say it is. But there are some interesting differences.

First of all is the point of view of the narrator. I won’t say much about that except for the last line - “I am haunted by humans.”

Second, there is suspense, but it is different. You are told very early what is going to happen. You are told who is going to die long before they do. One of the tactics of the story is that you read it just to see if what you learn early is wrong – because what he tells you is going to happen you definitely do not want to happen.

Third, the narrative is broken into smaller bites. There are no long chapters or long paragraphs or even long sentences. It is easy to read and easy to get into.

I did like the fact that it was easy to get into. You like the characters. You root for them. But it isn’t just a stream of good things happening. Bad things happen and the characters seem to respond accordingly.
As you can probably detect, I did enjoy the book. I would recommend it. You will love the characters. It was a book Mar had on the Book Club list. It is not one of the 501 must reads.


No comments: