Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Personal Reflection from Another Time

August 5, 2009

I am in Hood River, OR. Tonight I had a simple dinner at a Shari’s restaurant. Little did I know that Wednesday is “Free Slice” night – you get a free slice of pie with your dinner. I didn’t want to insult the poor waitress, so I had a piece. I choose strawberry-rhubarb.

This made me recollect on an earlier time in my life – a time when I was really oblivious to what was going on around me (more so than I am now). It was when I was going to school at BYU. We were very poor back then. I was working. Mar was babysitting. We were just squeaking by. But occasionally we would take a break – we would have a date. Just a short distance from our house was a Marie Callendar’s. When we really had something to celebrate, we would go there just for a piece of pie. I always got strawberry-rhubarb.

Thinking about that time makes me smile a little – there were some good times. It makes sad a little – there were some hard times. We grew a lot back then.

2 comments:

B and B said...

arent those times so great.
did you have whipped cream?

erica said...

I remember those times. I also have a memory that my dad likes strawberry and rubarb. I guess it goes back to those days. that's sweet.