Saturday, August 22, 2009

Birthday Ballooning

August 22, 2009

Larry surprised me with a wonderful birthday present. We got up at 5:00 AM. Larry made me blueberry muffins and then we went on a hot air balloon ride. Yes – a HOT AIR BALLOON. It was a spectacular view and an exciting experience. And I wasn’t scared a bit – and I’m sticking to that. Here’s proof.




We arrived at 6:30 AM to meet with Joe, our balloon pilot, and Roy, the chase man.

Larry helped inflate the balloon - watch out for that fire. It took about 15 minutes to fill up.

I got in the balloon first - that is not a look of fear - it is a look of fun.

See that shadow - I am one with that shadow - wheeee!

The mountains are pretty cool from up there.

Looking down on a lake with Longs Peak in the background..

Afte 1 1/2 hours we landed in a friendly farmer's field. The family came out to watch. It was a very gentle landing. There wasn't too much wind, so we only went about 3 miles. Sometimes we were high, sometimes we were low. We waved to people and talked to cows and horses and other beasts. We saw a bald eage - from the top.

And down it goes . . .

and goes . . .

and goes . . .

and goes . . .

and goes flat. That took about 2 minutes.

Anf then I got to help stuff the balloon into that little tiny bag.

It was sooooo much fun.

2 comments:

erica said...

i love that you talked to the animals. i love you mom.

out numbered said...

What a great birthday surprise! So fun! We love you all! -Deanna
P.S. I loved the kitchen you guys did a great job at Melanie's!!!