Monday, February 21, 2011

The Power of an old habit

Or . . .

Brain Imprints and Moving.

At our old house, I slept on the left hand side of the bed and Mar slept on the right.  That gave me the alarm clock and all that was needed for the evenings endeavours of cuddling, smooching and sleeping - yes sleeping - so the clock was kept on the night stand on the left hand side of the bed.  It was a good arrangement and had worked for nigh onto 20 years.

So now we move to a new house and this inspires a new arrangement, where I am sleeping on the right hand side of the bed with Mar on the left.  Just 180 degrees different as you can imagine because a bed only has two real directions, unless you want to sleep crosswise, which may be fine for a parcel of younguns, but younguns we are not, so we sleep lengthwise - but I digress.  Now the night stand, with the alarm clock and all of the of the needed things is on the right hand side - mainly because that is the location of the most suitable plug.  This arrangements has worked well until the other night - or the other morning.

I had to arise at the unseemly hour of 5:00 AM.  I set the alarm and we retires and slept quite well until that pesky alarm went off.  Then twenty years of habit kicked it.  The alarm rang, and I instantly reached over to where the alarm clock was - I mean was not any longer - and smacked Mar right in the head.  Needless to say on that morning the alarm woke Mar a lot better than it woke me. It took me a second or two to even realize where that stupid alarm clock was - but to my own credit, I only smacked Mar in the head once.

I did say I was sorry - about a hundred times before we went to bed.  The next evening, we just left the alarm off.

2 comments: