Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Travels with Lar

April 12-16, 2010

Hood River, Oregon - Bingen, Washington



A trip to Hood River/Bingen is not anything new in my experience. This is my third trip, and so I was very familiar with the whole ordeal - the flight into Portland (uneventful), the drive down the gorge (as breathtaking as ever), the two "cities" separated by the demon bridge. It was a five day, four night trip that I had already "been there and done that."

However their was an amusing part to this trip - Flat Stanley. Emma had a school assignment in which Flat Stanley, a children's book character, is supposed to go "on adventures". Well the assignment was that the children drew Flat Stanley and were supposed to take his picture on adventures. Emma sent her rendition of Flat Stanley to us just the day before I left for this trip. I took Flat Stanley with me. He got his picture taken at the airports and with the airplane. He drove up the gorge and had his picture taken at a few key sights - Multnomah Falls, the Columbia River, Mt. Hood, the demon bridge, the white buffalo in front of the Hood River liquor store. It was a little bit un-nerving taking pictures with Flat Stanley in front of a lot of people. At the airport in Denver, one lady saw me and said, "Okay, now I need to know the whole story". I told her and she helped me pose Flat Stanley to appear as one of the animals on a Frontier Airline jet. At the Portland Airport, a lady just asked, "Is that Flat Stanley." She knew all about Flat Stanley and his adventures.

Thank you, Emma, for having such a fun assignment for your Grandpa. Maybe I should take Flat Stanley wherever I go.


No comments: