Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Reading List

July 19, 2009

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

I was a little bit disappointed. I really like the latest made for TV movie. So I read the book. (I had the book because it was one of the selections for Mar’s book club.) Now I am not a fan of the Romantic era of writing and this is from that era. It just goes on and on with how smart she is and how much she misunderstands and how sorry and how repentant and – wait – do you see a pattern here. It all says “she”. This isn’t a story about the Scarlet Pimpernel – it is a story about his wife.

Now to tell the truth, Orczy does a good job condemning the French Revolution. But the story just wasn’t what I had expected. It was way to close to a modern romance. For me, it had the same flaws as (dare I say it) Twilight.

3 comments:

B and B said...

Dad have you read Twilight? NO!! Thats right, you can not condem it until you have read it- so you should read it... yes you should!

What are the stars on your table- things you like? You didnt like Angels and Demons?

B and B said...

Or are the dots the ones on your list?

Life Travels with the Parental Units said...

Yes - I did read Twilight.
Yes - the stars are the books on the 501 must read list.