Sunday, July 12, 2009

Reading List

July 12, 2009

Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara

It seems I will never get back to my must read list - this one is not on the list. People keep telling me you have to read this, you have to read this. Gods and Generals came at me from two fronts - Mar who read a "companion" book, The Killer Angels for book club - and Melanie who had this one in her collection and agreed that I had to read it. Neither of them were wrong. It is truly great reading.

The story of the story. The Killer Angels was written by Michael Shaara portraying the bloodiest three days in American history - Gettysburg. His son, Jeff, wrote Gods and Angels after his death. It depicts the start of the Civil War and the progression up to Gettysburg. The difference in the books is that they are historical novels. Accurate as far as history is concerned, but portraying Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and the other generals as real people with feelings and faith.

I recommend it.

Of course now I have a dilemma. I have read Angels and Demons and should read The DaVinci Code to follow up. I have read Gods and Generals and should read The Killer Angels (and probably The Last Full Measure) to follow up. And I have the 501 list. So much to read, so little time. Where were all of these good books over the last 20 years of my travels?

Reading List 2009
7/12 - Gods and Generalls - Jeff Shaara
6/5 - Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
5/29 - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
5/11 - Crashing Through - Robert Kurson
5/5 - A Train to Potevka - Mike Ramsdell
4/27 - King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard *
4/21 - Best Loved Humor of the LDS People
4/6 - Eaters of the Dead - Michael Crichton
4/4 - Mexico - James A Michener
3/6 - The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton *
2/16 - The Wonderful Wizard of OZ - L. Frank Baum *
2/11 - The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
2/9 - Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie *
2/1 - Next - Michael Crichton

1 comment:

B and B said...

Is the date on the reading list the date you FINISH reading the book?
Why dont you read a book while you are NOT on a trip?