Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reading List


May 2, 2011

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin


And my daughter will be proud of me. She was aghast when she found I had never read a Jane Austin book. So now I have. I will probably read more – even though she has a decidedly female outlook on things.
I liked this book. I have seen brief snatches in movies, but never enough to get more than girls trying to get husbands and Mr. Darcy being a creep. But somehow the female audience was always rooting for the Darcy creep to win. I didn't get it.

You see, Mr. Darcy is the "Pride" and Elizabeth is the "Prejudice". Together they . . . wait I shouldn't tell the plot in this. But it all ends up happy for at least a few of the characters. (By the way – in mentally portraying the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, my mind always envisioned the Buckets from BBC's "Keeping Up Appearances".)

This is a book for adult audiences, not because of anything vile or untoward, but because it would take a mature person to understand. I feel like modern audiences are too much focused on the here and now and the do it and get it done. This is about back then, and seeing yourself in a back then world is imperative to understanding the book.

A good book for book clubs, and it reads much easier than I had expected.


No comments: