Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reading List



4/7/2011
People of the Mist by H. Ridder Haggard


This is the second book on my list by H. Ridder Haggard, the first being King Solomon's Mines. "The Mines" made the 501 Must Read List. This one didn't. I think it should have been the other way around. Now that is not because this is a great literary work. But this is so much more fun to read. The story is better (even though it is about the same). The characters are better. The action is better and much more "Indiana Jonesish". I just liked it better.

I would recommend it to book clubs, with a little bit of a warning. This is a "romance" in the late 1800's point of view. Sad heroes, beautiful women and, coming from that era, absolutely improbable and unbelievable plot twists. But that makes it so much fun and "Indiana Jonsish".

And one other warning, the ending is good, but melancholy in a way, so beware. 

By the way, I chose this book strictly based on the cool title.  I didn't know what it was about, or even who wrote it.  But People of the Mist - come on.  How cool a title can you get.

No comments: