Saturday, March 6, 2010

Reading List

February 27, 2010
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
This is one that has been on my reading list for a long time. I found it in Borders books because I was without reading material on a trip - a ghastly situation to be in. It was on my list from the 501 Must Read Books and to tell the truth, I wanted a quick and easy read. This was.
It is fantasy, full of magic and witches and mythical beasts. It has love and lost love. It has villains, but not very villainous ones. But mostly it has intriguing writing. You taste sights and hear smells and feel sounds - all of which gives a different perspective to how you feel about what is going on. It didn't have THE happy ending - but it did have A happy ending. Now that is a mystery to pique your interest. I presume that if I took time to really study it, there is a lot of metaphorical meaning to happenings, characters and beast. But I just wanted a distracting book, and it did that for me.
As fantasy books go, it was okay. It wasn't Tolkien in Lord of the Rings. It wasn't Lewis in Narnia. But it was entertaining. I would put it in a children's genre - 8 to 14 years old.
I enjoyed it.

No comments: