Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Movie Review

March 18, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are

How do you make a full length feature movie out of a 20 page children's picture book? That is the question that plagued my mind when I heard about "Where the Wild Things Are. It is a real good children's book. In fact it is on the 501 must read list. But really - a whole movie. How?
Well after watching it I can tell you how they did it. Beautifully. This film is very enjoyable. The story is simple and much like the book. It is artfully done. You learn to love the monsters
even though they do occasionally eat people. You also see that King Max, the little boy, learns a lot about himself, and other people, by living with the monsters for a little while. The filming is just gorgeous. You sometimes laugh. You sometimes want to cry. In the end you may just learn a little bit about yourself. The monsters are part of Max - but as the catch line says - "There is one in all of us" - at least one.
A word of warning. Don't think this is "just a kids movie". Children may really enjoy it, despite the fact that in a place or too it is intense. But it is really a movie about a kid - but for adults with a message for adults.
I recommend it - whole-heartedly. I give it 4 out of five Larry points.

1 comment:

The Parkers said...

Ben and I just watched it last night and I really enjoyed it! I agree completely with you and enjoyed every minute of it!