Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Travels with Mar and Lar - San Diego

Monday - March 16, 2009


I went to work at 7:30 and got set up for class. Class was good, but I expected that because there were only two people. But enough about me.
Mar got up and relaxed and got ready for her adventure. I did not know how things were going until I called her at noon. Her first words were, "I'm having so much fun!" Then I could relax. So what did she do? Well, she just went out and drove to see what she could see.

She knew the beach was west, so she started that way and ended up in La Jolla (pronounced La Hoya). It is the jewel of the San Diego coast line. She went to the cove and saw kayaks and surfers and people just enjoying themselves. She saw birds and pelicans (yes I know they are birds), and sea lions. And she loved the houses and the different plants.
Then she drove down to San Diego itself. She ended up in Balboa Park because the people at the restaurant the night before said if there was just one thing you had to see in San Diego it was Balboa Park. That is where the zoo is. There is a Natural History Museum and an Art Museum and the Museum of Mankind. Their are hiking trails and gardens. It is comparable to Golden Gate Park in San Fransisco. Again, she loved it.

And then she told her GPS to take her home - and it did. She put in a lot of steps today - and she paid for it with a blister.

After I got off work in the evening we went up to Andrea's for Family Home Evening. A bunch of the LDS families from the base had a group FHE at the beach and did foil dinners and just played. Now we never told Andrea that Mar was coming. She thought it was only me. Boy was she and all of the kids surprised. Mar got to do a little bit of nursing. Just before we got to the beach, one of the husbands hit himself with an axe. He went home to take care of it. A little later, he called saying it was still bleeding. Ben took Mar to look at it and give her opinion - which was - bandage it up, come down and have dinner, go home and help get the kids to bed, then go and get stitches. He got two. It was nice being with the kids. Emma and Spencer insisted that their grandpa play with them and help them with dinner. Michael had a bunch of his friends there. Jasen was sick, but on drugs so he was okay and enjoyed himself. But I don't think anyone enjoyed that FHE as much as I did. I miss that crew a lot.



When we got back to the hotel at about 9:30, we smelled like smoke - so we went down and soaked the smoke off in the hot tub.

1 comment:

B and B said...

I am jealous you got to see the kids!

You smelled like smoke so you HAD to soak...it sounds like a hard nock life you lead.

(You need to label these- I a reading the same days over and over.)