Monday, February 9, 2009

Reading List - Part two

February 9, 2009
Today I finished Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. Why would he read that, you may ask. Well, the first reason was that it was one of the 501 books on my list. The second reason was that I already had it on my book shelf. The third reason was that it was captivating - truely captivating. I really enjoyed it. Yes you can see Mary Martin in some of it. And you can see Walt Disney in some of it. You can even see "Hook" in it. But it is just fun to read. Here is one of my favorite lines, as the Darlings are hurrying home, trying to be in time to keep the children from flying away to Neverland (not NeverNeverLand):
"Will they reach the nursery in time? If so, how delightful for them, and we shall all breath a sign of relief, but there will be no story. On the other hand, if they are not in time, I solomnly promise that it will all come right in the end."
I think I could see myself writing like that.
By the way, the next time you order a Double or a Salad at Wendy's, you have J. M. Barrie to thank. Before Peter Pan, there was no name of Wendy. He made it up for this story.

(A very nice copy - with tidbits of information - wonderful pictures - and CDs for those who don't want to really read - and its on my book shelf.)



This year's Reading list.


2/9 - Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie

2/1 - Next - Michael Crichton

No comments: