Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reading List


December 7, 2011

The Red House Mystery

By A. A. Milne


What do you say when you come across a mystery written by the author of Winnie the Pooh? "Oh, I just must read this!" Yea, right. But I decided to see what it was like. After starting it, I was perusing my 501 must read list and, lo and behold, there it was on the list.

So how does this mystery stack up to, say Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Very well, thank you. In fact, it is somewhat better. In The Red House Mystery, Milne actually gives you all of the clues – well most of the clues. But then he does something unexpected. He actually tells you why they don't make sense. All along you have a prime suspect, but he doesn't fit the clues. Milne lets you discover the real issues a little bit at a time. But then, alas, he doesn't tell you one or two little tidbits, so it would take a real good sleuth to figure out exactly what happened.

I liked it. You'll like. I recommend it. It would work good for a book club. Winnie the Pooh would be proud.

No comments: