Friday, April 29, 2011

Travels with Lar – Penang – Post 2


April 1 – 9, 2011
Monday
Woke up and had breakfast and went to work at Intel. We used Taxis all week long – we had the number of one taxi driver who took care of us all week. Evidently taxi work is really slow in Penang right now and he was very happy to work as our driver.
The class was at Intel. There were 12 very attentive and happy people. It went well. I will make a general statement that this was the best Intel class I have taught. Another Mentor person, Ian, spent time in the class also. He, like Patti, is part of their global support team. The picture is outside the Intel entrance of the training building.

After class, all of the Mentor people – all that are in town – went to a place in Georgetown (the old part of Penang at the north end of the island) for dinner. It was a "choose your own fish" type of place called Bali Hai and again, the more local attendees ordered for us. It was good food. It was right across the road from the ocean.


On the trip home, we did not take the highway, but drove through a downtown area just to see – but it was night.
My problem today is that I am really tired. My body is 14 hours off.


Tuesday
Work again.
Weather has been nice, but today was hot and humid. I expected rain, but no – just hot and humid (heat index was over 100).
In the evening, Patti, Kazuyo, Ian and I went to Little India for dinner. We drove about 30 minutes (it is also up by Georgetown) and when the taxi stopped for us to get out, I looked around and said "Really? You want me to eat here?"


Well I really didn't say that, but I thought it. The streets were narrow and the shops were small and a the road was cobble stone and it was old. Rajad, the taxi driver had taken Patti and Kazuyo there over the weekend and they said it was wonderful. It really was. Best Indian food I have ever tasted.
We shopped a little – for scarves for Mar – but didn't get them after we ate (Patti went and got one after I left and brought it home.) I wish I had a good camera to show the area at night. It was a truly unique place. Did I feel safe? Well sure.

http://www.bestpenangguide.com/little-india-penang.html



No comments: