Sunday, December 14, 2008

Grad Trip - Logan, Rexburg, Ogden

December 14, 2008

(This is the last in a series of posts about this trip. To read them all in order - just start a little lower. They all have the same title.)

At Convocation Friday night, Henry J. Eyring spoke. He said it amazed him how the Lord did things just for his good, such as causing a stock market crash to turn his life around. Of course he was being a little bit facetious.

Well, today, I had such an experience. I know the last three posts all said the weather was supposed to be real bad - and for the most part it wasn't. Well, every news service in the world was looking at this giant low pressure system that was going to pound southern Wyoming. Mat got stuck in it last night. Mar and I woke early, 5:15, and were on the road by 5:30 fully expecting 15 house of slow, scary driving to get home. In fact we were somewhat expecting Mat's experience - having the highway closed on us.

We started from Ogden just as it started to snow. Lightly as we pulled away, but steadily more until when we started up the canyon it was snowing in earnest and beginning to stick heavily on the cold roadbed. I was sick to death. It truly was going to be a long, long, long trip if this continued. I just silent prayed, "Heavenly Father, we can't drive all the way to Colorado in this. Please help us." Instantly in my mind I heard, "This is just lake-effect snow. Keep going." Fifteen minutes later, the snow stopped. We went up to the speed limit and took off. An hour and a half later, the sun came up. We were driving under blue skies. We had the blue skies all of the way. The roads were a little but snowy after Rawlins and then just ice packed at about 20 miles from Laramie - the scene of Mathew's overnight closure. There we had to slow down. But in the end, we made the trip in a little over eight hours.

Now, I am not saying that Heavenly Father moved a storm so I could get home safely. But - he told me when to leave so I could hit the break in that storm. We are so grateful for that blessing.

No comments: