Friday, March 2, 2012

Reading List


The Call of the Wild

By Jack London

February 24, 2012

I decided a long time ago that Jack London was not for me. How could a person write great about topics in the frozen North county. That is the land of Dangerous Dan Magrew, and the Ballad of Yukon Jake. And besides, while I was in school, he always came at the end of a term so I was tired of reading. It can't be any good, I would convince myself, so I wouldn't read. The only thing I read was a short story called "To Build a Fire".

But on my Kindle – there it was – Call of the Wild. I had a trip for reading so I decided it was short enough to maybe finish on one flight. I did finish it on one flight and it was excellent. It is the story of a dog and his reversion to his natural , uncivilized essence. It is beautifully done. You feel pathos with Busk, the main character – who is a dog. I really liked it. I think I would recommend it to anyone.

Well – maybe not a women's book club. There are some violent scenes – tastefully violent – but violent none the less. Dogs getting killed by men. Dogs getting killed by dogs. Moose getting killed by dogs. Men getting killed by men. Men getting killed by dogs. You know, that kind of tasteful violence.

No comments: