Sunday, June 7, 2009

Travels - Lar in Ottawa

May 24 - 29, 2009


This was a business trip - the business was a custom class for a customer. Enough said about that.

I like Ottawa. It is a pretty city, not to mention the capital f Canada. It is not too large. It sits on the bank of the Ottawa river. Across the river is Gatineau, Quebec. The two cities are really two different worlds. Ottawa has historically been the politicat city marked by the beautiful spires of the Parliament Building and other government edifices.

The other side of the river has historically been the industrial city marked by smokestacks and lower income dwelling. Gatineau has improved it image by a beautiful museum complex and hotels along the riverfront.
But there is still a major difference. In Ottawa, there is a very foreign feeling. Roads signs are in metric. Money is Canadian. Signs and advertisements are in English and French. On the Quebec side - well there just isn't any English. It is all French. That makes it a little bit unnerving for a timid traveler like myself.
I went downtown on Monday and enjoyed a beautiful day in a beautiful city. The rest of the week - it rained. And I caught a cold. And on Tuesday through Thursday I worked 11 hour days. So I was tired and not much in the mood for sight-seeing. I am glad I had Monday afternoon just to enjoy this wonderful area.

No comments: